March 29, 2010

Just the Beginning

Today I began my search for locally grown food. My neighbor Pam was kind enough to give me the number of three local meat farmers and a place just down the road that sells fresh eggs. My brother, Luke, gave me the name of four co-ops in Minneapolis and St. Paul he thought would sell locally grown food.


I began by calling the meat farmers and struck out on two out of three. No one seems to answer his or her phone during the day. But, Sunshine Harvest Farms answered the phone and I set up an appointment to visit the farm and buy meat tomorrow.

I also called the co-ops. The first place, The Wedge, told me they had potatoes, tomatoes, and green cabbage that were locally grown. I did not think we could live off just that so I called Lakewind's Natural Foods. They told me I was out of luck and to come back in three months or try the farmer's market in May. The next place I called was Seward Co-op in Minneapolis. Jackpot! They told me they had locally grown parsnips, spinach, onions, potatoes, shallots, basil, tomatoes, mushrooms, lettuce, beets, turnips, and rutabaga. I was thrilled. The final place I called did not seem to understand what I was asking and kept telling me they had lots of produce, but not whether or not it was local.

After work I drove 17.9 miles to Seward Co-op. This grocery store is a great place for those looking to eat locally. Every fruit and vegetable is labeled as to where it is from. All gluten-free, organic, and local food item is labeled. This was a big help for me. I did not have to read every label and could tell exactly where it came from. Not only did Seward Co-op have local vegetables, it had local pasta, granola, cheese, milk, eggs, and many other things. In order for the food to be categorized as local it has to be from within your state and its four surrounding. Our local states include Iowa, Michigan. Wisconsin, and the Dakotas. I bought $123 of locally grown food (see receipt above) and am excited for the challenge to begin.

6 comments:

  1. Nicole --

    This is such an interesting experiment! I look forward to reading about your findings -- and your experience along the way!

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole, Good job! Look forward to learning more about locally grown food that you will be eating now and target food next week. You picked a very good project!

    Love,

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nicole!

    I love that you are doing this... sure to be quite enlightening. Just wanted to let you know that I have contacts at the Mississippi Market in St. Paul if you wanted to interview "produce people", grocery folk, or even the woman who is in charge of food education and other related projects. Let me know... I would be happy to go on a little field trip with you. :)

    Thanks for sending the link to the blog... can't wait to read more!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how were the prices? It's hard to tell from your receipt what they were.

    I heard a someone on the radio saying that when you cut out the junk food (frozen pizzas, chips, Little Debbies, etc.) and buy locally, it will actually be cheaper. Because grocery chains push the junk food, you end up buy more of it and thus, spending about the same...

    So I wonder if there's a way to integrate that question into your experiment. Does your buying behavior change in a grocery chain vs. in a co-op?

    Looks like you're having a great time. Good luck!

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole -

    I applaud you! What a terrific experiment. I wonder how this will effect your eating habits past the experiment? I look forward to reading about your experience.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole,

    I'm at a local coffee shop right now and I must say that I was inspired to come here over Caribou because of your project!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete