April 4, 2010

Day Six

Is it really day six already? This week has gone faster than I thought it would! Today was again a smooth day of eating locally grown food. As my dad said in an earlier comment it is very true that this diet takes practice and finally with five days under my belt the practice is paying off.

As I was walking out the door for school this morning I suddenly realized I had not made a lunch last night. Panic set in and I ran around the kitchen throwing anything in my lunch bag I could. Surprisingly, it did not take very long. I ended up with a sun-butter and jelly sandwich, yogurt with granola, strawberry applesauce, fruit leather, and chocolate milk. It only took me about five minutes to throw together.

We made a special dinner tonight. Homemade pasta! We used $9.50 worth of tomatoes, a pound of ground beef, fresh basil, and garlic (not local). Then we cooked local pasta. It was very different than pasta sauce out of a jar, but extremely good and very filling. My mom also commented on how little fat the meal had in it.

I think I was wrong about the unhealthy side of eating locally. While I am lacking in fruits and some vegetables, this diet is actually quite healthy. No longer are fatty, packaged foods available, and most of the time I don't crave snacks between meals. As we were talking about this last night, America's problem with obesity came up. If everyone were to eat locally grown food, I am positive that the U.S. would not have an issue with obesity.

I think eating locally is going to get more and more popular. By eating locally we keep our money circulating in small communities, we eat healthier food choices, we save the environment, and we eat better tasting food. This year Plymouth is starting its first farmer's market. This shows the desire we have as a community to eat locally. I am thrilled to visit Plymouth's farmer's market and thrilled that it will have its debut this summer.

1 comment:

  1. It will be interesting to hear how the Plymouth Farmer's Market works out. Will it have exclusively Locally grown food? Will it provide labels accordingly?

    What are your thoughts on continuing your blog? After the project is concluded will you continue to provide commentary?

    ReplyDelete