April 7, 2010

Day Ten


Day three of eating Target food. Today my dad and I went grocery shopping. I had been eating leftover food we had from Target and it was time to restock. As we were walking through the aisles I began noticing how much junk food Target sells. Part of eating locally is eating fresh food and I couldn't help but look at the Little Debbies next to the bread, the two rows of chips and cookies, a whole row for sugary drinks. I saw in a new light what Target was promoting; it was striking. No wonder America has a problem with obesity; we can point one finger at our grocery stores (another at ourselves).


Today for lunch I ate pita bread with hummus. I also ate an apple. I feel like I ate something else, but have forgotten... or maybe that's why I was so hungry later? Anyway, after school I ate half a raisin cookie and some jelly beans.


I learned some important clarification while doing research today. There is a difference between locally milled and locally grown. I had written a question regarding this in an earlier post. I did not know whether or not all ingredients would have been grown locally if an item had been manufactured locally. I think that means my sun-butter and licorice and other packaged items did not necessarily include locally grown ingredients. It was very disappointing to discover, but the person did mention that some people who eat locally grown food include locally milled items in their diet as well.


For dinner I ate pizza. At Seward Co-op I had seen a local pizza for $13.00. At Target we got a pizza for $3.33. It was tasty, cheap, and manufactured in Bloomington. I was very surprised. But now that I know there is a difference between locally grown and locally milled, I am not so impressed.


To the right I have included my receipt from Target. Click to enlarge.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, there. You have it right about the "locally milled" phrasing. Those sorts of phrases are used for lots of items. For instance, my coffee guy buys beans from far away but then roasts them locally. Same for a lot of our breads in the Bay Area.

    It's better than a lot of options -- at least you are supporting a local business and a local producer. But it doesn't mean that the ingredients are local.

    You could try calling these companies -- I've found some of them to be quite responsive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you!! You go girl!!! I'm very overweight and I'll have 2 try this, maybe it will help me. If you can help me...I'm open to suggestions!!

    Keep up the great work!!

    -Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole -- I thought you were astute in your observations about the food product sold at Target (basically your point was: point one finger at Target, but one at ourselves).

    Sadly, the reason Target sells row upon row of snack food is that we all buy that kind of food! And that is why as a country we have such an issue with obesity.

    Long ago people thought our buying behavior would change if we knew what was in our food (e.g. calorie count, fat content). The sad reality has been that even when we are told -- and know -- what we eat is awful we keep on eating away.

    A question I would pose for you is how do you think this might change? We know just having information doesn't change behavior -- so what does????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Nicole!
    Excellent questions and comments. I am challenged by your ideas.

    You might consider a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) this summer. We have been sharing one for the last couple of years. It's a box of veggies and fruit from a local farmer once a week. We have not liked everything every week, but it has been a wonderful variety. And very local. Lots of places offer them now. Here's a link to the farm we supported.http://www.lafincacsa.com/ They dropped right in Hopkins. You can find one that drops off near your home.

    Keep experimenting and enjoying. I will look forward to all of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete